1/24/10

LET THEM EAT CAKE!




If someone had told me this tiny little cake was going to be split among over 20 people and that we would all be full off of it I would have thought you were nuts. Actually that's in fact what the baker told us.
This masterpiece called a strawberry shortcake is a raw cake. Raw means this cake has never been cooked. Given that the cake was so dense and satisfying the creator was correct. The entire room was bursting at the seams from this little cake..... and there were even three different kinds of cakes to try!
The icing tasted like cream cheese and the amount of strawberry flavor.....divine!
I was invited by Dhrumil, one of my organic/raw guides to attend a raw food gathering in Brooklyn New York at a new cafe that just opened called Sun In Bloom.
I had no clue what this event was going to be like. In general when I eat out at raw restaurants they go really heavy in the nuts which gives my stomach a really big workout, but this menu was really invigorating.
Meeting the "tribe", which consisted of people of all ages (but generally people in their 20's and 30's) was even more interesting.
I had a chance to ask people why they decided to go raw. Most of them answered that it was out of their own varied health conditions and concerns.
We spoke about food sourcing, the challenges of raw, the perceptions of vegetarianism, aging as a vegetarian, cleanses, and my project.
I expressed that for now I was still going to consume meat if my body craves it. Again, the only thing that is changing for this project is my food source.
We all left the cafe a little more nourished and a l myself a little more enlightened.
I must get the recipe for that Strawberry Shortcake!

No comments: