1/25/10

I HAVE A DREAM


......was the message the proprietor of Gustorganics, Alberto Gonzalez conveyed in our interview. As I said in a previous post, this native Argentinian has developed the first 100% USDA Organic Restaurant in the USA.

What I loved most about Alberto is that he built something based on an idea. He wanted everyone to see that we are killing ourselves with industrial food. The "Frankenstein" Mc-America-$5.00-meal that our government and corporations have created is killing us. We are one of the sickest, food-related diseased countries in the world. Alberto felt that if he made an example that showed it's possible for Americans to eat Organically and for businesses to profit, then his message could succeed. Alberto didn't set out to be a restauranteur. He set out to change the world.

As the interview went along further Alberto began to really show his sincere passion. I asked him questions like what is the difference between Gustorganics and Whole Foods? He said while they are making an effort that is needed in the food industry only 15% of Whole Foods is organic whereas his restaurant was 100% Organic. Alberto likes to source from local farmers for his food supply and encourages farmers with organic practices to get certified with the USDA. USDA is important to him because it is a good guideline to help make our food better.

Another good point that Alberto made is that a lot of people complain about the price of Organic. "Our portions in America are too large," says Gonzales. In europe they eat half as much food as we do. If America's portions were where they should be then it would not cost as much to eat Organic and the quality of life would increase.

I actually can second that theory. At the restaurant Organique where I eat all of my meals, they weigh their food by the pound at the hot and cold bars. My meals have been costing between $5-$8 which is cheaper than other restaurants for the same type of food! For lunch I had amazing chicken with brussel sprouts. Yesterday I had grilled salmon with quinoa and roasted tomatoes. I also find it's cheaper to eat that way in the end because the food is more satisfying.

In the end I played a little bit of a devil's advocate and mentioned that what if Organic is all hype? Maybe it's just the fact that Americans eat so much crap that it is really the cause to all of this sickness. BUT as a reminder this project is not about eating well. It is about ONLY changing the source of my food. In fact this morning I had an organic chocolate granola bar (120 calories).

After the Divine Eggs Benedict I had with Maureen two Sundays ago I couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab dinner there.

I decided to go all out for the skirt steak accompanied by broccoli and mashed potatoes. Alberto is from Argentina so I had to test to see if the meat was really that good.

It was unbelievable! It was so good it tasted like the food had a flavor enhancer. I savored the entire plate (which could have easily fed two), but I wanted to see what would happen if I finished my entire plate like I've always been trained to do.

On my very infantile organic food journey I give Gustorganics 5 stars!

In the meantime I'm so inspired by Alberto's mission that I'm going to try to see if he and Intelligent Nutrients could work together.....I love a challenge!

No comments: