1/14/10

BUILDING A TRIBE


It's sort of funny how we as humans like to have others share our experiences. How many times have we heard someone say "this tastes horrible! Taste it"......why would you want to taste or smell something that another person finds revolting?

I was glad I had a chance to have someone else also sniff and taste my project last night. I ended my evening by grabbing a quick dinner with my friends Fiona and Jay in tow. They thought it would be a nice idea to eat organic for their dinners as well.

We all got the split pea soup. I didn't expect to hear how good the soup tasted. I'm so used to hearing how bland something is.

While we were eating I also discussed the fact that I feel sort of like an investigative reporter going behind the scenes of the organic/food industry. I'm personally at the age where I don't trust any company anymore. I have had more beauty companies change their formulas to benefit their bottom line than I can count on both my fingers and toes!

What's really our #1 problem is we think there is this imaginary consumer watch dog that is keeping us safe. We take for granted that if a company makes a claim and even builds a business around it such as organic then it's true.

The main focus of this journey is to see if eating organic and hormone free will even make any sort of difference. Both Jay and Fiona agreed that the change had to make a difference and a year would be more than enough time to tell.

I felt a little guilty not telling Organique about what I was doing so when I went to go pick up my mashed potatoes with salmon and broccoli this afternoon, I confessed to the guy at the register about what I was doing. He didn't seem to care one way or the other.
Well at least I have him fair warning. I know if someone was doing something on my business for a year I sure as heck would want to know!

p.s. Jay will probably kill me for saying this but I am proud he has lost over 80 lbs without surgery!!! by changing his meat intake and making adjustments in his diet.

Cheers to being conscious about what we eat!

Sorry if this sounds like a little food evangelism. I am strictly impartial in this project!!!!!

No comments: