1/28/10

INTEGRITY


When I decided to go into business for myself I told myself I would do it in a way that would not compromise integrity. It's almost impossible to find businesses that are honest with their customer out there. I hear that honesty doesn't make money, but I plan on showing the world otherwise.

A couple of quotes I have kept in mind were "Behind every great fortune there is a crime."- Honore de Balzac and "Business is the art of extracting money from another man's pocket without resorting to violence"- Max Amsterdam.

Taking on a company that provides food that is either organic or locally sourced and the equivalent is a very daunting task especially in this economy. I am already starting to taste the differences in "organic" food in some places. I think I'm starting to pick up on what one business owner explained to me which is: a restaurant will call itself organic when it only buys a few organic chickens and the rest of the chickens they prepare come from industrial sources. I also know this is true. I have several restaurant owners around that source their food from the food industrial giant Sysco. They keep a lot of businesses running. That's what part of this journey is about figuring out our food and its sources.

On a different note here are a few more observations that I picked up in regards to my physical appearance. I know I picked up a bit of belly weight which that means it is directly from the food. I don't want to hear about the cortisol theory. I already know the culprit. The only thing that changed this week is I went three times to Gustorganics where the portions are MUCH larger than what I usually eat. One of their plates could feed two people comfortably which is also a greater value for your money.

The fact that I am able to weigh my food and use a particular container size at Organique really keeps me consistent. There is also a wider variety of vegetables like purple cabbage and eggplant. So the one thing in my diet that did change was variety. I still keep the ratios of meat and veggies the same. I don't do very much fruit. From time to time I will eat bread as part of a gluten-fee sandwich. I may have an acai juice here and there, but again NOTHING HAS CHANGED IN THIS PROJECT BUT THE SOURCE OF MY FOOD. That being said I have a very big trust issue about my food and as one writer put it "I'd rather go to the farmer's market and look him in the eye and know what I am getting rather than trust what I am being told that I am getting!"

Looks like I'm going to have to enlist one of my chef friends into this project if I can. On to the farmer's market!

No comments: