4/27/10

KEEP IT CLEAN


As promised I am now into day two of CLEAN, the 21 day detox program that is hitting Hollywood like wildfire. I am usually the LAST one to hit a trend when there is one. Still don't use an IPod and I barely made it on to MySpace which I've only used less than a handful of times.

My colleague is big into cleanses. I however am not for several reasons. One is that it takes me months to revive someone's skin after they have done so. The skin is our largest organ and it can sometimes give us glimpse into what is going on inside the body. That makes me think that the vitamins and minerals that we deprive our cells from over an extended period of time can cause adverse effects when it comes to aging after what I have already observed from most cleanses.

BUT I do think that we are eating waaaay too much crap as a society and food choices tend to have a certain domino effect that can spiral out of control. A lot of people out there need a jump start. I like that Gwyneth Paltrow wrote so openly about her experience for her online mag called GOOP. You can see her post about the cleanse here. It's good when a celebrity takes the position of being a positive role model for whatever reason it is that they do.

If you don't have time right now to go to her excerpt I'm going to give you CLEAN in a nutshell. 21 days. Shake in the morning and evening with supplements. One meal in the middle of the day with foods like wild salmon and lots of greens. Your one meal has to be clean as well. The first thing you do in the morning is take a probiotic (which I like) and then your supplements at both shake times. I know I have a problem with one supplement because it contains oil of oregano which I am allergic to, but I'll do it anyway until I think it's causing a problem. Oregano is fantastic at killing candida which is one of the things that causes yeast infections in women.

If you want to lose weight you mix your shake with water. In this case I would like to get the most out of my money and take advantage of that part of the cleanse. IF you do it that way it will taste like you've been soaking your cereal in water overnight. Unless you are hard core I recommend mixing the shake with almond milk and blueberries for taste!!!!!

So far my side effects have been great amounts of fatigue. I wish I had started this on the weekend. I'm going to really miss my supplements that I take for energy as well. When I went to switch over to organic I had a much heavier detoxification effect. My skin was blistering. I had constant chills and headaches and felt like I was about to come down with the flu. Up until my meal right now I have just been hungry and tired.

My colleague who has been a raw vegan, cleanses constantly, and frequents her colonic therapist has had headaches and lots of fatigue. It sounds like this cleanse is hitting her much harder. Knowing she is getting a response tells me that this could be an effective cleanse. Time will only tell

No comments: