4/5/10

FAUX FOOD LABELS


Happy Easter Everyone!

Given that a lot of businesses were closed for Easter it made me exercise moving out of my comfort zone for once to explore other options.

On my random walk around the city I spotted the opening of a new cafe called Fresh & Co.
I wanted to witness how "fresh" they were. At first they looked like any other corner deli/restaurant, but amidst the sodas and the chips they had prepackaged organic pasta dishes and fresh juices.

What really put me off was the fact that they designed their juice label to look like the USDA symbol from a distance. This is conditioning the consumer to feel a certain way about a product. This is really not cool. My patience is running thin with this kind of subliminal marketing. I'm hoping that someone brings it to the USDA's attention.

Personally I was so put off by the design that I walked out of the store. A design that was problem made to make the consumer trust their products was exactly what put me off of their products. What's worse is I have no idea if their produce is GMO or not.

How do we trust these companies?

Gonna have to really figure this one out. I'm wondering who to speak to about stricter labeling guidelines?

No comments: