2/10/10

HOLY MACRO!








Tonight was a great night! I met up with one of my really good friends that I haven't seen in a while because she's too busy flying around the world doing celeb hair and campaigns while I'm trying to run a business in a fragile economy.

We decided to meet at a Macrobiotic Restaurant in New York City. I wasn't sure if it was organic, but it was listed in Clean Plates New York City.

I ordered the macro plate which consisted of rice, beans, hijiki seaweed, kale, carrots, broccoli, and what I think was a yam or squash. The restaurant advertises online that it is organic, yet when you look at the menu only certain selections of their menu say organic next to the food item. Before I ordered I asked the hostess (that I have seen there for at least a couple of years) if their food was organic and she said she didn't think so. Then I asked her if the food was locally sourced and she said no, "it comes from all over". Hmmmmm.

Well I figured I would see what the difference was......the taste..... there was none.
I know what organic vegetables out of my very own garden taste like and this was void of taste. If you blindfolded me and asked me to name what I just ate......I couldn't. That's how bad this was. I continued to eat to see how I would feel. I was content at the end of the meal, but not satisfied by the taste. My friend thought her fish was okay. If this is what organic was about I would never get anyone off of the crap they're eating now!!!

So the question is Macrobiotic just another word for tasteless food? I've got to find another one in the city to compare! In addition are they one of the restaurants that others have warned me about that buys only a few products organic so that they can call themselves organic? That's why I'm purposely withholding the name of this restaurant until I get down to the bottom of this.

Part 2 of the evening was much more successful. My friend and I decided to brave the snowy tundra of new york to meet her friends at a bar called Puck Fair. She was a little concerned that I wouldn't find anything organic there.

I asked the bartender if they had any kind of organic liquor and at first he didn't think he had anything, but then he returned with a bottle of Wiesen Edel-Weisse beer. My friend couldn't believe a place like Puck Fair would have a USDA certified beer. I finally explained to my friend my Organic project. At that time she told me she could not believe how good I looked. She said she wanted to mention back at the restaurant she saw changes, but the biggest change to her was evident in my hands. She said "your hands always looked swollen to me in the past, but today your hands...really all of you looks like you've really lost some weight". I knew she was sincere because for me the swelling in my hands and ankles had been bothering me for a while.

When the beer came I was curious to see what would happen. I don't have a good history with beer. I really swell up when I drink beer. I'm not sure why. I have been tested to have a wheat intolerance and this beer definitely has wheat in it. Much to my amazement I had no swelling! How can that be? Now I'm going to have to really figure out why this beer doesn't bother me. It's very sweet and smooth. I really enjoyed the beer.

So tonight I have two more assignments: try another macrobiotic location and figure out what makes me allergic to beer....except for this one!

Cheers!

p.s. By the time I got back to my office this evening I was really hungry. Generally the Organic Food I've been eating has left me quite satisfied for much longer periods.
Hmmmmmm again.

No comments: