3/14/10

DUPED


Lately I have been scouring the shelves and restaurants to see what is available in organic. After one of the beauty shows I attended I was STARVING and knew that a restaurant with organic food on hand was just not happening.
I decided to duck into a Duane Reade near Penn Station to see if there was some sort of way for me to remedy my hunger.
As I looked through the shelves of high fructose corn syrup laden products I came across a couple of brands that to the untrained eye looked organic.
It appeared that Snyder's of Hanover had come out with some organic chips. I'm not a chip person at all, but I was starving and thought what the hell. As I looked closer at the bag it appeared that Snyder's had mimicked the USDA label on their packaging when in fact it was only advertising Gluten free/ Expeller Pressed Sunflower Oil. I wonder what the USDA would think about this little trademark infringement?!?
In addition Snyder's wants you to feel good about their product being natural so they added some water falls on to the packaging.
As a consumer who is really trying to do my best to adhere to eating a certain way I am really upset at the levels of marketing deception that I am seeing. I'm sure that this product is really close to organic if you look at the ingredients, but given that the company has consciously acted deceptively through their packaging I can only assume that other integrity has yet to be proven!!!
Guess that's what I get for considering a bag of chips to begin with.
In the end I chose to starve.

No comments: