7/12/10

AMISH CHICKEN?


A while back we explored Kosher meat. Many were under the idea that Kosher meat is the same as organic meat. We quickly found out they don't even compare.

This evening I was invited out to dinner and the main course was Amish Chicken. For once I did not make a scene given the circumstances. It's only logical that the very people who chose to opt out of zippers on their clothing would raise livestock without hormones or antibiotics right?

All I can say is by the end of the dinner I was getting a miniature migraine behind my left eye and my ankles were beginning to swell. Some of the other guests also commented on how big the chicken was which could also be an indicator of hormone use.

Luckily someone has already done that homework for me. Amy's table has looked into Amish chicken in the new york area via the NY Times. The verdict is the Amish label on the food is more about marketing hype. Amish Chicken may not even be raised by the Amish.

Judging by my body's response to the dinner (and no I did not even have a sip of alcohol) USDA might be a better way to go for now. Haven't had a headache from that yet!

I'm still glad I took a chance to see what would happen if I trusted a restaurant. I was among great company anyway.

Just to be fair I'll give them a ring in the morning to find out what the whole story is.

No comments: