6/29/10

WHAT'S ORGANIC ABOUT ORGANIC?


I made it out last monday for the opening screening of the documentary What's Organic About Organic. I felt it was a great movie for people that have no concept of what goes on at an organic farm. It also sampled what happens at an industrial farm. What I loved most was a scene where one of the farmers goes around to show weeds that most farmers kill that can actually benefit the cows by cleaning their blood, etc. What I also loved is that it wasn't sensationalizing the problems with industrial food only celebrating the farmers out there showing organic can be done.

There was a roundtable/forum after the screening that was actually even more interesting to me where the organic trailblazers discussed the fact that Wine is the only product on the market that does not list its ingredients on the label. Wine can have over 40 ingredients alone which include dyes and arsenic (which is used as a fungicide). Gives a whole new meaning to a hangover.

In addition I did not know that farming was one of the deadliest occupations in the U.S. I would have personally thought coal mining was. That being said one of the panel members spoke of fair trade labor. Fair trade is obviously something that isn't just a third world country problem. It's a problem in our own back yard.

One of the problems I have personally found is sourcing of Organic Food. The panel discussed the fact that if we ask our local grocers to dedicate a section to organic food we might be able to make it more available. In addition I also feel that if we can all find a farmer to connect to our grocers then we can all make a difference!

Some of the sites I heard about at the screening were: www.eco-labels.org, www.attra.org, and www.howtogoorganic.com.
Looks like there's a lot of info to dig into here!!!!!

By the way the weight is continuing to melt away. I haven't weighed myself, but my smaller clothes are starting to swim on me.

Be back with more organic info!

No comments: