6/9/10

AWARDS DINNER


Last night was the 8th Annual James Parks Morton Interfaith Awards Dinner Honoring Philip Glass for his contribution of music to peace and interfaith understanding.

The dinner was a lavish spread of Grilled Filet Mignon, Miso Glazed Cod, or Polenta with fresh mixed grilled Vegetables. Some of the most beautiful food I have seen in a long while. My neighbors were kind enough to allow me to photograph one of the dessert plates being passed around. There were so many others, but this was an example of just one tempting plate!

The staff was a little concerned that I wasn't eating and I assured them that all they needed to do was pretend I was anorexic and everything would be okay. They weren't content with that answer so the lovely head of the waitstaff approached me and offered to put together a wonderful salad for me. After the conversation I had with him it finally became very clear to me that organic to many people....even those who specialize in food think that organic means eating vegetables or being vegetarian. Organic only means eating from food sources that are free of chemicals, hormones, and GMO's.

What was really alarming to me is that no one seems to know where our food comes from. The CEO of Fair Oaks Farms is so right! We are so removed from our food and the people that bring it to us. We have learned to trust too much. The cost of that trust seems to be our health.

What was great about the evening is I was surrounded by over 50 different religious leaders who were all there to make a difference. They were really compelled to help support my organic initiative because it coincided with their wanting to demonstrate how making small changes in our lives can potentially have a great impact.

Who knows... world peace through food? Ghandi started that trend a long time ago!

No comments: